|Chair Professor, Department of Physics, Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech), Shenzhen, 518055, China
Associate Vice President, Southern University of Science and Technology (SUSTech)
Dean, SUSTech Academy for Advanced Interdisciplinary Studies
Director, Office of Scientific Research
YUSHENG ZHAO ( 赵予生 )
Prof. Zhao is a high-pressure physicist with extensive experience in diffraction studies of crystal structures, equations of state, phase transitions, and storage/transport properties of energy materials including advanced batteries, superhard materials, hydrous phases, mantle minerals, and metals and ceramics. His scientific interests include new energy researches, environmental sciences, condensed matter physics, materials sciences, crystallography, and geophysics; his technical specialties cover high P-T and high-P/low-T instrumentations (design, fabrication, and implementation) for neutron and synchrotron x-ray diffraction, ultrasonic elasticity measurement, and calorimetric thermal analysis.
Prof. Zhao is highly regarded in the research fields of energy/environmental materials (hydrogen storage, battery electrochemistry, geological CO2 sequestration, methane hydrates mining and exploration, etc.), superhard materials (synthesis of BC2N compound with hardness second only to diamond and making of thermally-stable ultratough diamond/SiC nano-composites), clathrate hydrates (crystal structure determination of H2·H2O hydrogen hydrate and characterization of formation kinetics), nano-mechanics (core-shell model explanation of work-hardening/work-softening in large deformations), and mineral physics (structural phase transitions in perovskites and chemical simulation of Erath deep interiors).
Prof. Zhao has been awarded by DOE/NNSA for his research excellence and significant contributions on superhard materials research (2003) and on accelerator neutron development (2001). He is also honored recently with a number of LANL Technology Transfer Awards (2005, 2006) and Distinguished Tech Licensing Award in 2007. In recent years, Dr. Zhao has been actively pushing for international collaborations on the large scientific facilities researches on energy and environmental materials using high-pressure technologies. He has been helping to establish Energy Institutes for Peking University and for Chinese Academy of Sciences. As an internationally recognized scientist, Prof. Zhao also serves in many review-, executive-, steering-, advisory- committees, such as COMPRES, CDAC, SNAP, HiPSEC, and J-PARC/HiP, for DOE, NSF and many national-wide and International-wide panels.
Current Research Interests:
- Superionic Electrochemistry and Advanced Batteries
- Crystal Chemistry and Physical Property Relationships
- Synthesis and Characterization of Superhard Materials
- Integrations of Multi-Tech High P-T Instrumentations
- Synchrotron/Neutron Diffraction and 3D-Tomography
- HiPSEC, University of Nevada, Las Vegas: Executive Director & Professor (2010 ~2015)
- Los Alamos National Lab (LANL): Team Leader & Staff Scientist (1994~2012)
- California Institute of Technology: Postdoctoral Research Fellow (1992~1994)
- State University of New York at Stony Brook: D (Mineral Physics (1986~1992)
- University of California, Berkeley: Visiting Research Fellow (1985~1986)
- Peking University, China: Master of Science (1981~1984)
- Peking University, China: Bachelor of Science (1977~1981)
Selected Honors and Scientific Services:
- HPCAT (High Pressure Collaborative Access Team) at Advanced Photon Source, Argonne, Executive Committee member, 2010 –
- COMPRES: Consortium of Materials Property Research in Earth Sciences, (national-wide), Advisory Board member, 2012 –
- CDAC (CDAC: Carnegie/DOE Alliance Center, A DOE-NNSA Center of Excellence): Steering Committee for Coordination of National Lab Research , 2003 – present
- J-PARC (J-PARC: Japan Proton Accelerator Research Complex), Advisory Committee for High-Pressure Neutron Research ,2009 –
- National “Thousand Talents Plan” Scholar, Southern University of Science and Technology (CAS Institute of Physics, PKU College of Engineering), 2010 –
- NSLS-II (National Synchrotron Light Source, Phase-II, Brookhaven National Laboratory) High-Pressure Research Consortium, Committee member, 2010 –
- LANL Distinguished Technology Transfer Award on US Synthetic Licensing of US Patents for: “Drill-Bit Application of Dianond/SiC Nano-Composites” (2007)
- LANL Technology Transfer Award on Outstanding Innovation and Patent Reorganization: “Diamond-Silicon Carbide Composites” (2006)
- DOE/NNSA Award of Excellence for Defense Research Program on “High-Pressure Materials Research of Superhard and Ultratough Nanocomposites” (2003)
- DOE/NNSA Award of Excellence for Defense Research Program on LANSCE Accelerator Development and Neutron Applications, (2001)
- HiPSEC: The DOE Review Committee member for the NNSA High-Pressure Science and Engineering Center at UNLV, 2003 – 2007
- HIPPO/LANL High Pressure Working Group for University of California Material Research UCMRD, (UC-wide), Committee member, 1997 – present
- Served as reviewer for Hong-Kong Research Grants Council, 2008
- Served as reviewer for European Science Foundation, 2004
- Served as reviewer for research performance assessment of ANSTO (Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organization), 2005
- Served as reviewer for U.S. Civilian Research and Development Foundation (CRDF) for 2006 Cooperative Grants Program competition
- Served as reviewer for many significant scientific journals, including: Science, Nature, PNAS, PRL, GRL, JACS, Adv. Mat., Nano Letters, etc. over the past 16 years.
Selected Research Funding (PI, Project Director/Leader, co-PI)
- Manufacture R&D of Nano-Polycrystalline Superhard Materials, Peacock Team Project of Shenzhen, ￥30 M for 5 years (2016~2011), Zhao as PI.
- Nano-Polycrystalline Superhard Materials, Guangdong Innovative & Entrepreneurial Research Team Program, ￥10 M for 5 years (2017~2012), Zhao as PI.
- Manufacture R&D of Lithium Rich Anti-perovskite solid electrolyte based solid state battery (NNSFC), ￥09 M for 5 years (2018~2023), Y. Zhao as PI.
- High Pressure Science and Engineering Center (HiPSEC), DOE/NNSA/SSAA (Stockpile Stewardship Academic Alliance) Program, $2.6M/year, for 2013-2017; $2.25M/year for 2010-2012; Zhao as Director/PI.
- Lithium-Rich Anti-Perovskites as Superionic Solid Electrolytes, DOE ARPA-E, $2.78M for three years; 2013.2 – 2016.2; Zhao as PI.
- Novel Anti-Perovskite Electrolytes for Superionic Lithium Transport, LANL Fund LDRD-ER_20110139ER, $380K/year for three years, FY2011– 2013, Y.Z. as PI
- Non-Precious Metal Cathode Catalysts for Lithium-Air Batteries, LANL / LDRD-ER_ 20110483ER, $225K/year for two years, FY2011 – 2013, Y.Z. as co-PI
- Super-Ionic Electrochemistry for Enhanced Battery Performances, LANL/ DRD-ER _20100525ER, Energy Feasibility; $150K/year, FY2010, Y. Z. as co-PI
- High-P/Low-T Neutron Diffraction with ZAP Anvil Cell, in EFree: a DOE/BES Energy Frontier Research Center; $300K, FY2010 – 2012, Y.Z. as LANL co-PI
- LAPTRON: Neutron Instrumentation for High Pressure Research, UC-Lab Research Program, $315K/year for three years, 2009 – 2011, Y. Zhao as Lab-PI.
- Capacitive Hydrogen Storage Systems: Molecular Design of Structured Dielectrics, DOE-EERE On-Board Vehicular Hydrogen Storage project, $720K/year for three years, FY2009 – 2011, Y.Z. as co-PI
- Novel Inclusion Compounds for Hydrogen Storage, LDRD-DR_20070008, $1,380K/year for three years, (FY2007 – 2009); Z. as PI.
- Yusheng Zhao is also responsible to lead and operate high pressure neutron diffraction program at LANSCE and to support neutron users, which is supported by BES and DP operation funds at $300K-$400K/year level for 1996-2010.
- Superionic Solid Electrolyte made of Lithium Rich Anti-Perovskites; Inventors: Yusheng Zhao, Luke L. Daemen (International Patent: # WO 2014150763 A1; 2013).
- Solid Electrolyte Thin-Film made of Li-Rich Anti-Perovskites, Inventors: Xujie Lv, Yusheng Zhao, Quanxi Jia (US Patent App. ####, 2014).
- TRANSITION-METALS DOPED LITHIUM-RICH ANTI-PEROVSKITES FOR CATHODE APPLICATIONS; Inventors: Yusheng Zhao, Jinlong Zhu, Shuai Li, John P. Lemmon; (US Patent App. ####, 2015).
Selected Publications: (Total Citation > 11386, H-index = 52)
(Paper Totals = 295, in which IF> 10 is about 41)
. Antiperovskite Li3OCl Superionic Conductor Films for Solid-State Li-Ion Batteries, Xujie Lü, John W Howard, Aiping Chen, Jinlong Zhu, Shuai Li, Gang Wu, Paul Dowden, Hongwu Xu, Yusheng Zhao, Quanxi Jia, Advanced Science, 3(3), (2016).
 Pressure-Induced Phase Transformation, Reversible Amorphization, and Anomalous Visible Light Response in Organolead Bromide Perovskite, Yonggang Wang, Xujie Lü, Wenge Yang, Ting Wen, Liuxiang Yang, Xiangting Ren, Lin Wang, Zheshuai Lin, Yusheng Zhao, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 137 (34), 11144, (2015)
 Local structural distortion and electrical transport properties of Bi(Ni1/2Ti1/2)O3 perovskite under high pressure, J. Zhu, L. Yang, H-W. Wang, J. Zhang, W. Yang, X. Hong, C. Jin, Y. Zhao, Scientific Reports, 5, 18229, (2015)
 A New Molybdenum Nitride Catalyst with Rhombohedral MoS2 Structure for Hydrogenation Applications, Wang, S. M., H. Ge, S. L. Sun, J. Z. Zhang, F. M. Liu, X. D. Wen, X. H. Yu, L. P. Wang, Y. Zhang, H. W. Xu, J. C. Neuefeind, Z. F. Qin, C. F. Chen, C. Q. Jin, Y. W. Li, D. W. He and Y. S. Zhao, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 137, 4815, (2015)
 A new lithium-rich anti-spinel in Li–O–Br system, Zhang, J., J. Zhu, L. Wang and Y. Zhao, Chem. Comm. 51, 9666, (2015)
 Structural manipulation approaches towards enhanced sodium ionic conductivity in Na-rich antiperovskites, Wang, Yonggang, Qinggei Wang, Zhenpu Liu, Zhengyang Zhou, Shuai Li, Jinlong Zhu, Ruqiang Zou, Yingxia Wang, Jianhua Lin, Yusheng Zhao, J. Power Sources, 293, 735, (2015)
 Li-rich anti-perovskite Li3OCl films with enhanced ionic conductivity, Lü, X., G. Wu, J. W. Howard, A. Chen, Y. Zhao, L. L. Daemen, Q. Jia, Chemical Communications, 50(78), 11520, (2014)
 Unusual structural evolution in KCuF3 at high temperatures by neutron powder diffraction, Marshall, L. G., J. Zhou, J. Zhang, J. Han, S. C. Vogel, X. Yu, Y. Zhao, M. Fernández-Díaz, J. Cheng, J. B. Goodenough, Phys. Rev. B, 87, 014109, (2013).
 Superionic Conductivity in Lithium-Rich Anti-Perovskites, Yusheng Zhao, and Luke L. Daemen, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 134, 15042-15047, (2012).
 Strength weakening by nanocrystals in ceramic materials, Wang Y., Zhang J., and Zhao, Y. Nano Letters, 7(10), 3196, (2007).
 High-Pressure Microscopy, Wang, Z.W., and Y. Zhao, Science, 312, 1149, (2006).
 Morphology-tuned wurtzite-type ZnS nanobelts, Wang, Z., L. L. Daemen, Y. Zhao, C.S. Zha, R.T. Dawns, X. Wang, Z.L. Wang, R.J. Hemley, Nature Materials, 4, 922, (2005).
 Structure and dynamics of hydrogen molecules in the novel clathrate hydrate by high-pressure neutron diffraction, Lokshin K. A., Y. Zhao, D. He, W. L. Mao, H-k. Mao, R. J. Hemley, M. V. Lobanov, M. Greenblatt, Phys. Rev. Lett., 93(12), 125503, (2004).
 Formation of Zirconium Metallic Glass, Zhang, J. and Y. Zhao, Nature, 430, 332, (2004).
 What does “Harder than Diamond” mean? Brazhkin, V., N. Dubrovinskaia, M. Nicol, N. Novikov, R. Riedel, V. Solozhenko, and Y. Zhao, Nature Materials, 3, 576, (2004).
 Hydrogen clusters in clathrate hydrate, Mao, W. L; Mao, H-K; Goncharov, A.F; Struzhkin, V.V; Guo, Q.Z; Hu, J.Z; Shu, J.F; Hemley, R.J; Somayazulu, M; Zhao,Y. S, Science, 297, 2247, (2002).
Selected Invited Talks and Lectures:
 “High P-T Nano-Mechanics and Diamond Deformations” @12th International Conference on Nanosciences & Nanotechnologies, NN15: Thessaloniki, Greece, July 7-10, 2015.
 “High-Pressure Neutron Diffraction Studies for Materials Sciences and Energy Sciences” @ DongGuan Workshop on Neutron Scattering Instrumentation for Disordered Materials, China Spallation Neutron Source, June 29 – 30, 2015.
 “Nano-Mechanics of Materials under High P-T Conditions” (Keynote Speech) @ High Pressure Society of China 17th Conference; Yangzhou, China; Sep. 2-5, 2014.
 “Diamond Deformations and High P-T Nano-Mechanics” (Keynote Speech) @ THERMEC’2013 [J7-session, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA], Dec-05, 2013.
 “Energy, Environment, and Earth Materials at Extreme Conditions” @ organization meeting on Energy Frontier Research Center (E3MEC, Organizer/Director), San Francisco, December 12, 2013.
 “Integration of Multi-Tech on Tir-Axial/Six-Ram LVP for Neutron Diffraction/Radiography” @ Workshop on Energy Exploration and Materials Characterization, (Organizer) CAS/IOP, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Aug. 5, 2013.
 “Large Volume Press Installations for Synchrotron/Neutron Facilities”, The LVP Forum speaker in ACHPR-6 @ Beijing, (Co-Organizer), Aug. 8-12, 2012.
 “High-Pressure Neutron Diffraction Studies for Materials Sciences and Energy Sciences”; Workshop on Applications of China National Neutron Facilities @ Mianyang, Sichuan, China; October 26-29, 2011.
 “Vehcle and Transportation–Frontier of the Energy Materials Study”; 2011 WORLD MATERIALS SUMMIT, @ Washington D.C., October 10, 2011
 “International Workshop on High-Pressure Beamline Design and Construction” @ Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facilities; @ Shanghai, China, June 10–11, 2011; (Organizer).
 “High Pressure Neutron Diffraction Studies for Materials Science and Energy Science”; @ 4th Colloquium on Structure and Characteristics of Crystals at Extremely High Pressures and Temperatures; Bonifatiuskloster, Hunfeld, Gemany, February 28- March 2nd, 2011
 “High Pressure Neutron Diffraction Studies at LANSCE” J-PARC High-Pressure Beamline Advisory Committee meeting, J-PARC @ Tokai, July, 2009.
 “High-Pressure Neutron Diffraction Studies for Materials Sciences and Energy Sciences”; invited talk @ TMS Annual Meeting, San Francisco, Feb., 2009,
 “High P-T Nano-Mechanics” @International MRS Conference, Beijing Satellite Meeting: Advanced Technology and Advanced Characterization for Advanced Materials, June, 2008, Beijing. (Organizer).